Tuesday, July 14, 2009

bad blogger...i know i know

So I was doing so well updating each night with a new recipe or idea. But then I went on vacation, then I got a puppy, and well now I'm studying for the bar exam! So needless to say, creativity is not on the top of my list. However I don't stop eating just because I'm busy, so here's my food experiences.

Wednesday night we left for a family reunion in Branson, MO, which got me thinking about food that travels well, is easy to fix in our small kitchen of the cabin, and can feed our family of 6. My parents try to plan out our meals and food seal a lot of it.

For the first night my parents prepped one of my suggestions, chicken burritos. So here's how this recipe came about. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are super expensive but are amazing in everything so when I can't buy those I buy split chicken breasts because they are the same thing only require a little more work. So a few weeks ago they went on sale for like $.69/pound, so I bought about 20 pounds! YIKES! My father and I steamed the breasts shredded the meat and food sealed it into 1-2 lb bags. I use this for quick meals! It is amazing!

So I took one of these bags out of my freezer a few weeks ago and combine it with some cooked brown rice, a can of rinsed black beans, and a can of Progresso Enchilada soup. The soup can be really difficult to find in stores, if you can't find it you can get a Tortilla soup and a cheese soup and combine them. I filled burritos with this mix and it was AWESOME. My parents altered theres by not putting in the rice. I like rice because it is very filling and provides an additional whole grain.

Another great meal on my vacation was our big family meal. Pot-luck style only this year instead of the main course being bbq we did a mexican theme...and yum yum yum! I LOVE LOVE mexican food or pretty much anything that can be associated with latin themed food! There were so many dips, enchiladas, salsas, rices, and casseroles that were so amazing. Thursday I'm going to be testing out a Creamy Green Chicken Enchilada recipe for friends of our who are coming to dinner! So look forward to my recipes for it and my FAMOUS guacamole! Trust me you won't want to miss it!

Anyway, back to studying for tonight!

Good luck and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment